Google Quick Links:
How does Google work?
- Don't ask Google questions. Google scans websites for all the words typed into the search bar.
- Google looks for pages that are both important and relevant to your search. It analyses not only the candidate page but also the pages that link to it to determine its value.
- Google also looks for pages where your search terms are close together on the page.
- Google uses and automatic AND between each word. It searches for every single word you type into the search bar.
- The words and phrases you use and the order that you use them will affect your search results.
- Google only returns pages that include all your search terms.
How to Google Like a Pro:
Search a phrase
- Searches for the exact words in the order typed.
- Use double quotation marks at the start and end of the phrase.
One term or another
- Searches for results that include one term or the other, but not necessarily both.
- Must be written in capitals to work.
- Shows results that do not include the word(s) in the search results.
- Type a minus sign before the word or phrase to exclude.
- A space must be placed before but not after the minus sign.
Searches for missing word in a phrase search.
Returns results for:
Returns results for:
- Thomas Edison
- Thomas A. Edison
- Thomas Alva Edison
- Searches for definitions of words from various web sources. The operator can be used with or without the colon.
- Use the operator in the form define: and the results are restricted to a list of definitions.
- Use the operator without the colon, define, and the results are broadened to include definitions as well as other relevant pages.
- Use define if more than one word is entered in the query. The definition will be for the entire phrase as typed.
Search by site
- Limits the search to one website or domain (.org .com. .edu .gov .vic.gov.au etc)
- There is no space between site: and the following word.
All words in title
- Google will limit the search results to pages that have all the query words in the title of the document.
- Searches for multiple words in the title of the search result.
- Begin the query with allintitle:
- There is no space between allintitle: and the following word.
- Google will restrict the results to pages that have all the query words in the title of the document.
All in text
- Searches for multiple words in the body of the web page.
- Begin the query with allintext:
- There is no space between allintext: and the following word.
- Google will restrict the results to pages that have all the query words in the body of the document.
- Do not use a phrase search with the allintext: operator; use intext:
- Basic calculator functions.
- Type calculator to bring up virtual calculator OR use + - / * ( ) in search bar.
- Converts units of measurement.
- Type unit converter to bring up virtual unit converter OR use type conversion straight into search bar.
- Converts currency.
- Type calculator to bring up virtual calculator.
- OR type conversion in search bar.
Searches for websites that link to searched website (specific or general web addresses)
Find sites that are similar to a web address you already know.
Search for a specific file type.
Use either – or _ to search for connected words.
Searches for a range of numbers.